Over the past few years, the global environmental debate has focused increasingly on concepts such as climate change and the greenhouse gas effect. However, whenever products are produced, processed and used, or when services are delivered and used, CO2 is released as an inevitable by-product. While the legislation prescribing restrictions to help solve the global CO2 problem remains very industry-specific, it still makes sense for responsible companies in all industries to take a critical look at their own operations and products, and to seek to minimise their ecological impact.
An individually calculated carbon footprint can tell you exactly how much carbon a product or service will generate during its entire life cycle. A carbon footprint is therefore one of the group of greenhouse gas balances available to all business sectors.
A corporate carbon footprint shows the total quantity of carbon emissions generated by one particular company. A product carbon footprint, on the other hand, is an assessment of the greenhouse gas emissions of a single product in a specific application and with reference to a specific unit of use.
The life cycle assessment (LCA) method is used to analyse all of a product’s environmental impacts, as these are not limited just to C02. The assessment includes all phases of the product life cycle (production, use and disposal) and all associated secondary processes. The aim of life cycle assessment is to first systematically record a company’s environmental impacts and risks and then to identify potential areas for improvement.
- We can assess your company according to the requirements of DIN EN ISO 14040/14044 (life cycle assessment).
- We can measure, quantify and report greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with ISO 14064.
- We can prepare and evaluate your company’s material and energy balances with reference to all ecological criteria.
- We can determine the individual carbon footprint of your products or services according to ISO 14067.
- We can produce a corporate carbon footprint for your entire business.